Monday, June 22, 2009

The only Boss I listen to...

At the request of an old friend, I'm trying to put together my very own "best of" Bruce Springsteen compilation. So far, it's a two-discer with each disc clocking in over 70 minutes, and I still feel like I'm leaving out some really important stuff. More problematic, it seems that far too many of my favorite Springsteen songs are the down-tempo sad ones. Mixing in the rockers strategically has been quite the challenge.

Here is my tracklisting:
Disc 1:
1. Kitty's Back [from The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle]
2. Further On (Up The Road) [from The Rising]
3. Back In Your Arms [from the "Tracks" box set]
4. Worlds Apart [from The Rising]
5. The Promise [from 18 Tracks]
6. Spirit In The Night [from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ]
7. My City of Ruins [from The Rising]
8. Point Blank [from The River]
9. For You [from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ]
10. Drive All Night [from The River]
11. Meeting Across The River [from Born To Run]
12. I'm On Fire [from Born in the USA]
13. Prove It All Night [from Darkness on the Edge of Town]

Disc 2:
1. Thunder Road [from Born To Run]
2. Adam Raised A Cain [from Darkness on the Edge of Town]
3. New York City Serenade [from The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle]
4. Independence Day [from The River]
5. Cover Me [from Born in the USA]
6. Paradise [from The Rising]
7. Lost in the Flood [from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ]
8. The River [from The River]
9. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out [from Born To Run]
10. The Fever [from 18 Tracks]
11. When You're Alone [from Tunnel of Love]
12. Stolen Car [from The River]
13. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) [from The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle]
14. Backstreets [from Born To Run]

No, there is nothing from Nebraska, because I don't like Nebraska, except maybe for "Atlantic City"and "Reason to Believe" (but if I were going to put "Reason to Believe" on there, I'd use the version from Live 1975-1985). This is my best attempt at succinctly compiling my favorite Springsteen tunes into a listenable compilation, and you'll probably learn more about me from listening to it than you will about Springsteen--although I did try to pull some things that might make people go, "I didn't know Springsteen wrote songs like this!"

Anyway, I don't think anyone actually reads this blog, and the entire track listing is subject to change, but I needed something to do while I was listening back through the mix and blogging about it seemed like a good idea. If there are any readers out there, please don't comment to me about what I forgot or left off or what you would have done differently. Just make your own mix and send it to me. I'll listen.

No comments: